My foundation drawer has been through a major purge this year. Over the last couple of months, I’ve downsized my stash by over fifty percent(!) and I’m loving the new streamlined selection at hand. Here’s my current foundation collection and my thoughts on each product:
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer: This is my go-to base for that ‘no makeup’ makeup look we all love wearing. Whether I’m speeding through my routine to race out the door or want just a hint of coverage for Sunday brunch, it’s great at evening out my complexion and adding a dewy glow.
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer: The coverage and effect of this one reminds me of a BB cream. It’s lightweight, has a touch more coverage than something like a tinted moisturizer, and leaves my skin looking great.
- YSL Touche Eclat: This is a bittersweet topic for me – it’s probably my favorite foundation of all time, and it was discontinued at the end of 2015. YSL has replaced it with the supposedly similar Touche Eclat Radiance Awakening Foundation (which I’m yet to try), but I don’t see how the original Touche Eclat could be improved. It’s light coverage, lightweight, dewy, and wears flawlessly. I’m savoring this bottle!
- Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet: If you’re looking for a lightweight, light coverage matte foundation, I highly recommend this one. It reminds me a lot of the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, but with a velvet finish. Perfect for those who have oily complexions or don’t like the dewy look.
- Urban Decay Naked Skin: I just recently started using this one and can’t believe I’ve waited so long – I love it! It has a semi-dewy finish (not quite as glowy as my YSL favorite), and offers light to medium coverage. I’ve been applying it with my beauty blender and it looks great.
- Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide: I rarely wear foundations with medium to full coverage, but when I do this is one of my favorites. It’s buildable, has a semi-matte finish, and I find it applies best with my fingers!
- Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft Matte: Another new addition to my lineup, the latest release from Maybelline offers full coverage and a ‘soft matte’ finish. The consistency is quite thick and creamy – it reminds me of the Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation. I’ve been wearing this one when I want my skin to look flawless, and I’m impressed with how well it holds up throughout the day.
- Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream: (not pictured) Totally forgot this was stashed in a travel bag when I took the photo for this post – oops! This applies and wears like a BB cream, and I like that my shade (Light 2) has rosy undertones. I’ve found that most BB/CC creams have limited color ranges, and the shades tend to be much more yellow, but this one is perfect for me!
-shop the post-